Tuesday, October 25, 2011

THE PLEASURES OF PINAR DEL RIO (Or Who Needs 72 Virgins When you can Smoke PDRs?)

I have smoked practically the entire line of PDRs and they're all terrific, flavorful, well-balanced, cigars with even burns and easy draws. My favorite is the medium-bodied Pinar Del Rio Oscuro. It has a Brazilian Maduro wrapper(also used by AJ Fernandez on the San Lotano Habanos), Dominican Criollo 98 binder, and Nicaraguan and Dominican filler. It's a complex, smooth smoke, with just enough spice to keep it interesting, but not overwhelming. These guys come from a Dominican cigar growing family and veterans of the Davidoff and Fuente factories. Unlike the current Fuentes, they don't sacrifice quality for quantity and oversee every aspect of their operation. The $6.00 retail price is actually very cheap for the quality of this first-class product. Good stuff!--


Mamey

CS Rating- 4.0

3 comments:

  1. I have the PDR line on my list of what to try next based on Mamey's comments!

    I also want to comment on a cigar I tried over this past weekend. It was on the TOP 25 of a cigar websiite. LaFlor Dominicana "air bender"! First off let me say I was not pleased. The overall taste of the cigar was nice but everything else about it was a disappointment. It didnt burn well, I had to keep lighting it, it unraveled. At the end of the day the only use for this cigar is to give it to someone you hate!! CS rating - 1 Gmtarondor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me do another review of one cigar I enjoy! Although I was informed that this cigar has been reviewed on this blog I can not find it!

    MY FATHER #2 Belicoso!

    I love this one!! It has been accused of being too spicy by those prefering a mild smoke but I enjoy the slight pepper of this cigar. I think it a great full bodied woody smoke! It holds well, its a smooth smoke and I find it has a fantastic finish with a variety of taste over time! CS - SOLID 4 Gmtarondor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on the My Father, that cigar is awesome.

    Danno The Oil Baron

    ReplyDelete