Friday, October 7, 2011

THE SIRENS OF SAN LOTANO

I tried one of these cigars on the recommendation of Danno TOB, then another, and then another. I was instantly transported to old Havana nights, waves crashing on the Malecon, the music of Perez Prado and Beny More on the radio, Cubans playing dominoes, couples holding hands and laughing...
Back to the facts: beautiful wrapper, perfect burn, effortless drag, and a sweet, toasty, creamy, and complex flavor. If you long for the taste of pre-1959 Cubans, this is your cigar. For the record, I started with the SL Connecticut and then tried the Oval, Maduro, and Habano, in that order. Each is different, each is wonderful, and they're all more than worth the money($8-$10, depending on the vitola). So pick your paradise--they all await. The Oval and the Habano have gotten all of the attention, but I liked the Connecticut best. If you can't catch a flight to Havana this weekend, escape to San Lotano instead. And don't beam me up, Scottie!!--
Mamey
CS Rating-5.0

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like one that I need to try. Never have heard of the brand. Since you have listed 4 different ones and have rated them all highley, can you tell me which one is least like the PL - Cabinet Seleccion or the My Father?

    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SL is AJ "Abdel" Fernandez' latest line. He makes the Man O' War and many of the premium cigars for other companies. I think you will like the SL Maduro the most since it's what your HdMs SHOULD taste like. The wrapper is smooth and has no visible veins. The SL Oval has a flavor profile similar to the Padron 1964. The Habano has a Cuban/Brazilian wrapper and is a full-bodied smoke, so in that sense it has a similar flavor profile to the My Father, but is better than the MF. The Connecticut is the most like the taste PL Cabinet Selection, but I'll take the SL Conn. in a first round knock-out.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA WHOA WHOA, did Diamond E really diss the My Father??!?!?!? I love that cigar, its DELISH.

    Back to the San Lotanos, I have only had the Habano so far, but that thing is tied for best cigar period in my book.

    -Danno

    ReplyDelete
  4. The PL - Cabinet Seleccion and the My Father creates an urge for me to spit. It may not happen to all, but I don't like that.

    A friend of mine who has bought a box of the My Fathers was smoking one the other day and I noticed that he also would spit from time to time. I don't know what induces that reaction, but I won't pursue smoking a cigar that creates it.

    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I recall, you've only smoked one PLC and in unusual circumstances. Neither the PLC or MF has ever, ever made me want to spit. On the contrary, they are both have creamy, chewy flavor that actually makes you want to swallow, not spit.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  6. True, I have only smoked one of each, but they gave me that reaction (the PL - CS was much more pronounced). When I saw another with the desire to spit smoking the My Father leads me to believe that there is something about the cigar that causes that reaction...it may not for you, but it may for others...

    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen several people smoke these cigars and spoken to others about them, and am not aware of any reported cases of excessive spitting. I suggest that you may want to clear your palate with a strong glass of water and try them again to see if this unusual condition persists. If so, take 2 aspirin and call your doctor if you can't stop spitting.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete