Saturday, September 8, 2012

Opus eXstacy Part 3: Divine Redemption

The price tag makes it a cigar I would be scared to buy, but I am glad that in my short life on this planet I have had the honor to smoke it.
 
The typical OpusX cigar I have never been a fan of. I found them to be a spicy strong smoke that was ok, but certainly not worth the $20+ dollar price tag. The ForbiddenX line is an exception. Every one I have smoked has been a magnificent and memorable experience. The first being bought in the Fuente Lounge in Caesars palace after a successful day of gambling.

The OpusX Legendary is Fuentes top Rolls Royce cigar. Their best all maduro tobacco, aged, and rolled in a gorgeous fashion makes it the coolest looking cigar both sides of the Mississippi.

After the first puff I was floored by its distinct and unique taste. It’s incredibly smooth, easy draw, with a sweet base, and the flavor of the best tobacco the Dominican Republic can grow. And the flavor was so pure and rich. The flavor isn’t in your face and overwhelming, but instead pure and dense.

Imagine a Padilla Miami perfecto, but replace the Nicaraguan tobacco taste with that of Dominican and one can get a glimpse at the deliciousness this delivers to your palette.

This sweet Dominican base stayed constant through the smoke and would be enough to make this a wonderful smoke, but the Fuentes also grace your senses with minor subtleties.

Taking a puff, exhaling, and then smelling the smoke sends one to a state of smoking euphoria. An experience I will never forget.

CS Rating 4.5

The Oil Baron


2 comments:

  1. I read each chapter of the Opus X trilogy with increasing interest. This is a
    real cliffhanger and the best analysis of the Opus X mystique in the
    annals of cigardom.
    I generally agree with the Oil Baron's view that the Forbiddens(CS Score 4.5) including the Lost City, are superior to the regular OX line(CS Score 3.5)
    While the regular OXs don't totally suck, the Pinar Del Rio line of cigars gives you more bang for the buck and superior Dominican
    tobacco. Don't get me wrong, the Fuentes make terrific cigars in every price point and they deserve all respect in the world for their
    trailblazing history. It's just that we have we have to call 'em as we see 'em in the saloon.
    I would take a Fuente anytime over the bland, (usually)plugged,over-priced, and over-hyped Cuban cigars, Graycliffs, Rocky Patels, Davidoffs, and Zinos. But the PDR line of cigars is better and more affordable.
    If I can score a world class PDR Liga Cubana #2 for $7, why spend an extra $$$ for an OX that's not as good? Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Festus really likes the way that TOB describes a cigar. And while the OX may not be how I spend hard-earned cash I can definitely see treating myself to one ---even if to have a point of comparison. I also like that TOB does not pussy-foot around and will downgrade a rating if he sees fit. Seems like a man of sound moral fiber. I wonder what TOB recommends pairing it with? Whiskey?

    Festus

    ReplyDelete