Friday, October 26, 2012

BOB DYLAN’S TOP 25 SONGS OF ALL TIME (NO POST-DESIRE TUNES NEED APPLY)

This is my personal list of Dylan’s top songs. I’m sure that every fan has his or her  own list. Our favorites may depend on when we discovered little Bobby’s music and the turmoil in our lives at the time, but this is mine.

 The list does not include any post-Desire songs because a) some of these suck(yes, I do mean the mush in the Jesus albums, as well as others too many to be named) and b) even the good ones  don’t come close to cracking the top 25, 35, or even 45. If you disagree with the top 25(and I know you won’tJ) then your mission, should you wish to accept it, is to tell us which 21 songs you would displace to make room for your stated post-Desire favorite, in addition to your pre-Desire personal favorites that I excluded. Good luck with that!

I was amused to learn, while reading the Steve Jobs biography, that Jobs also did not think that any songs from Desire to the present were as good as his great work before Blood on the Tracks.

---Mamey 

THE BEST OF THE BEST 

  1. Like a Rolling Stone
  2. Blowin’ in the Wind
  3. Mr. Tambourine Man
  4. Chimes of Freedom
  5. Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues
  6. Stuck Inside of Mobile
  7. Just Like a Woman
  8. My Back Pages
  9. I Shall Be Released
  10. All Along the Watchtower
  11. Lay, Lady, Lay
  12. Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
  13. Idiot Wind
  14. Tangled Up in Blue
  15. The Times They Are A-Changin’
  16. Desolation Row
  17. It Ain’t Me Babe
  18. Quinn the Eskimo
  19. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
  20. Girl of the North Country
  21. One Too Many Mornings
  22. Gates of Eden
  23. It’s Alright Ma(I’m Only Bleeding)
  24. Mama, You Been on My Mind
  25. It’s All Over Now Baby Blue

CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR. These songs would be in any other artist’s top 10 list, but this is Dylan. 

  1. Visions of Johana
2. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall

3. Tomorrow Is a Long Time

4. Subterranean Homesick Blues

5. Queen Jane Approximately

6.  Most Likely You Go Your Way

7.   Forever Young

8.  Simple Twist of Fate

9.  Positively 4th Street

10. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine 

HONORABLE MENTION

These songs are all-world and under-appreciated. 

1.When I Paint My Masterpiece

2. If Not For You

3. Drifter’s Escape

4. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere

5. When The Ship Comes In

6. This Wheel’s on Fire

7. Father of Night

8. One of Us Must Know

9. She Belongs to Me

10. Ballad of a Thin Man

No comments:

Post a Comment