Monday, October 15, 2012

COHIBA BEHIKE: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE STUPID


The Good. The BHK 54 (the 54 refers to the ring gauge) is an attractive, tightly wrapped, 5.5” pig-tailed stogie that is sweet, toasty, creamy, and with a trace of spice. It is a medium powered smoke with a dead-even burn from beginning to end. The last two-thirds of the cigar had a perfect draw and produced good smoke.


The Bad. This is supposed to be Cuba’s all-world cigar. However, the first third of the cigar, while not 100% plugged, suffered from a very tight draw. I was afraid that this was going to persist throughout and I would end up with more Cuban mulch for my garden, but it finally opened up after awhile. I was fortunate. Most Cuban cigars are plugged or have too tight of a draw. You know that this is true when the vast majority of the reviews by the Cuba apologists at Cigar Aficionado refer to the draw of Cuban cigars with descriptions such as  “very firm.”  At the Saloon, we call ‘em as we see ‘em and the fact is that the Cubans have NOT corrected the draw problems, as evidenced by this Behike, which has a box date of May, 2012. To be clear, I’m not into cigar chimneys—there is such a thing as too much smoke, of course. I don’t like that either.  But I cannot enjoy a plugged cigar, regardless of the quality of the tobacco.


            While the last third of the cigar burned evenly and drew well, it also burned HOT. It did not burn my fingers, but was hot enough to make it uncomfortable to enjoy, so I chunked it into the flower bed after all. This is a shame because the middle third of the cigar was actually very good. Had the entire cigar been that way, this would have been a terrific smoke. As it was, it turned out to be just another example of the crappy quality control in the Cuban cigar industry. I experienced the same construction issue with a Cohiba #3 I smoked last Thursday which started burning hot about halfway). I can only imagine what folks like Abdel Fernandez, Juan Rodriguez,  Carlos Fuente, and Nick Perdomo could do with tobacco like this!!


The Stupid. Unlike other reviewers, we take the time to compare cigars with those of other labels to help you choose cigars. If the Behike is your taste profile(in terms of cigar strength, toast, and spice levels)*, I would recommend the following cigars which retail for a fraction of the price and give you a consistently good smoke. They are, in no particular order, but some of them have been reviewed in the Saloon: San Lotano Connecticut, Padilla Hybrid, Pinar Del Rio Clasico, Man O’ War Virtue, Alec Bradley American Blend, Santiago Cabana, Por Larranaga Cabinet Selection and the classic Cuba Aliados. All of these retail for under $10, some for as low as $5, and are in my wheelhouse.

Of course, if you want to pay $30-$35 for a Cohiba BHK, which is not as good as these others, just so you can say that you smoked a Cuban cigar,  please be my guest. Of course, beware that there may be only about 3 smokeable cigars in a box. As for the rest, well, maybe you enjoy expensive mulch. Me, not so much.—Mamey


CS Score 3.5(barely)

* Added as per The Oil Baron's comments below.

8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't put the Cuba Aliados or the Cabana on the list of cigars with "similar taste profile" While they are around the same cigar rank, I believe those tastes to be too dissimilar.

    The San Lotano Conneticut is the CLOSEST in flavor profile, though the SL Conn is a far superior cigar.

    I think it's important to distignuish between cigars that have similar flavor profiles vs. similarly ranked less expensive cigars when we provide recommendations in the Saloon. Case and point the CA doesn't taste like the Behike but it does have a similar score.
    The Oil Baron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good clarification. Every stick has a unique taste, so it's sometimes difficult to compare them. In my view the BHk, the Cabana, and the CA are all mild to medium cigars which may appeal to smokers who prefer cigars of that flavor. Not so strange, the Cabana and the CA are both made by Cubans living abroad who cut their teeth back in the old country and make cigars that taste as close to the old Cubans as they could. The comparison is made not to represent that they taste the same but to explain that you can buy 6 CAs instead of 1 BHK and enjoy a comparable(and in my opinion,better) smoke.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  3. As salooners have come to expect, Dr Mamey informs and entertains us with stogie posts that blend good, solid cigar reviews with pop commentary. We KNOW what he means. The BHK post is among the best. We understand the roller coaster that the BHK put him through and feel his cry out for an entire stick that has the flavor and smoke-ease that the middle third gave him. Reminded me of the muffin top Seinfeld episode (why can't we just make muffin tops?)

    Then, for some unexpected reason, Dr Mamey goes against stated Saloon dogma and fails to pull the trigger. Answer your readers, good doctor, why on earth, after blasting the quasi-mulchy stick, did you rate it a 3.5 (puny qualifier notwithstanding)? Was it because you thought the middle-third was a 5.0? If so, then the BHK has undeniable merit. Or because, despite cries to the contrary, you could not rate the Cuban lower. I'm sure you have reasons. Please share with your readers.

    El Alcalde

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good question indeed. I should have done more to explain the rating which, I admit, was difficult in this case. The good in the BHK was very good. The middle two thirds of the stick was terrific but the rest made me madder than Java Joe Biden when he can't find his medication. What a waste of fabulous tobacco!
    The Oil Barron is right. If you want to know what a perfect BHK tastes like, don't bet $35 on a BHK. Instead put your hard earned $8 down on a SL Conn. and enjoy an even better smoke.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the embellishment Mamey. For a minute there, I thought you had popped the clutch. One thing for sure about the Cigar Saloon - there are no sacred cows. Very few of the horseshit cigar sites would dare give us straight talk about the BHK, what with the overblown new Cuban myth. Not to mention Diamond E's succinct undressing of the Padron 1964.

    El Alcalde

    ReplyDelete
  6. My clutch needs replacement about as often as Java Joe Biden takes his "angry old man" medication. Someone should tell him that a stogie a day would works wonders on his issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some may find this hard to believe but I had a vendor come over from South America and he brought me a Cohiba Behike! To make a long review short please just read Mamey's review again. I did not care for it. Although I do not mind paying higher prices for better cigars I am glad I didnt pay a dime for this one. I got two more in my humidor that I will give away with a sincere apology!

    GMTarondor

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Emperor has no clothes!
    Mamey

    ReplyDelete