Friday, September 30, 2011

Gran Habano - Azteca

My first cigar from this brand and it had its good points and bad.

First the good. One can tell that the quality of tobacco leaves were very good, there was something genuine about this cigar. I never had a cigar of the 50s or early 60, but some reason this cigar represented what I imagined a Cuban cigar of that period tasted like. The cigar had a tad bit of a pepper flavor, but nothing overwhelming...it just had a solid tobacco taste. Toward the end of the cigar, it produced perfume type flavors that caught me totally off guard. Not every drag had it, but a few. It has a nice drag, relatively even burn and no re-lights were necessary.

Now the bad, the cigar (especially for the first half) had an after tasted that I don't particurly care for and produce a small desire to spit, not to spit it out, but just caused the saliva glands to become active. I got that same affect in a big way when smoking the Por Larranaga-Cabinet Seleccion, but that was a bit over the top and failed to enjoy that cigar. Lastly, towards the end, the cigar became a bit harsh, always a bummer for me...I like to smoke one to the end.

All in all I enjoyed the cigar and it earned a

Diamond E CS Score of 3.5

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Diamond E's rating of the GHA, but must confess that it did not give me any desire to spit, cuss, or fight. The San Andres wrapper is very nice and the cigar is very flavorful, but it's just not the flavor that I enjoy the most. In some ways it's similar to the Diamond Crown Maximus, just not as spicy or chocolaty. I prefer the Gran Habano Vintage 2000, which is also cheaper.--Mamey
    CS Rating 3.5

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the subject of Gran Habanos, I was fortunate enough to score a box of the (unfortunately) discontinued Gran Habano Cabinet Selection. I say unfortunately because, for the life of me, I cannot understand why in the dickens these were discontinued by George Rico. There are many rumors circulating about the reasons, but I will get to the bottom of it this year when I plan to see him. In the words of the late, great Desi Arnaz, he has some splainin' to do.
    This is an all-world smoke with a beautiful Honduran wrapper. Imagine the Alec Bradley prensado--only better!! If you're fortunate enough to find the last remnants of these treasures at your local shop, please don't hesitate to buy 'em up because you can be sure that the guy behind you will be doing just that. Mamey

    ReplyDelete