Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hoyo de Monterrey - Excalibur Epicure

Hoyo de Monterrey seems to be my go to brand.

Another spontaneous purchase, but not on a whim, this time I was looking for another Hoyo de Monterrey to try as I visited the cigar store. Saw this 5.25 x 50 cigar and picked it up.

It has more spice than the HdM PO3, but still smooth and consistent. It starts off with some noticable spice then mellows a bit but still keeps a touch that is enjoyable.

Very nicely constructed cigar, burned evenly, but not at even as the PO3, never had to relight, and was smoothy good to the (not bitter) end. The draw was good, but not great.

I wonder if Mamey and Danno the Oil Barron smoked this one, would they don't give it a .5 rating higher than the Siglo? It has the same tendencies, just taste better and has better construction.

Diamond E CS Score = 4

9 comments:

  1. Danno is right. The Siglo does not have the flavor of a Padilla, MOW, Padron, or a Pepin,and hence our rating, but it is not limp like the HdM.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying that all HdM are limp, if not you should probably under the appropriate post.
    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if the shoe fits...I think the cigar should be rebranded "Flojo de Monterrey."--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  4. So are you saying that all HdM are limp? Please be clear on what you are trying to communicate.
    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, let's try it this way. The cigar is limp. Limp is the cigar. It is a limp cigar. It is non-flavorful. Non-flavorful is the cigar. It is a non-flavorful cigar. It is limp, limp, limp. Limp, limp, limp is the cigar.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you have tried the Hoyo de Monterrey - Excalibur Epicure?

    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried the Excalibur 1066 as well. I just don't seem to be a fan of HdM style of cigar. I really need more flavor. After you work your way through the rest of HdM's cigar line, recommend their best and I will give it a shot. But as of now, I have no interest in any more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even want them contaminating the good cigars in my humidor.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to retry the 1066 again and compare, I have been having trouble finding it. Regarding the Excalibur Epicure, it is more full flavored like the Siglo, but more crisp (more defined) with its flavor.

    ReplyDelete