Thursday, August 25, 2011

COUNTER REVIEW Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur - Prensado Oscuro #3

Upon reading the Diamond E review of the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur I decided to pick one up and see what I have been missing.

Evidently, not much.

It is very mild, with only the slightest sweet flavor. And when I say slight, I mean it. Occasionally I would puff on the cigar and question whether there was anything to taste.

I have a natural bias to full bodied cigars so my review of mild cigars is somewhat skewed, but even for a mild cigar I found it lacking. The flavor was not complex, and for whatever reason it seemed to be without a that succulent tabacco taste I do enjoy so much. If you like a mild smoke, I think there are better to be had elsewhere.

I would like to note though, that cigar did have a perfect burn and seemed to always be producing smoke, which is pretty cool actually. Looks totally bad ass.

COUNTER REVIEW CS Rating: 1.5

Danno

6 comments:

  1. What is "tabacco", pray tell. - Whammer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danno, I totally get your point of view. To me, it is light smooth, but leaves a nice after taste, like I said, has the magnitude of nice cup of espresso with adequate amounts of sugar, not harsh. I don't enjoy the harsh/peppery cigars, it give me the feeling of having to fight something off...but to someone who enjoys that end of the spectrum, I can see why you would give this one a low rating. If you have any extras send to me. :)
    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Now I'm really intrigued--to the point where I'm going shopping for one of these puppies asap! However, I'm confused by Diamond E's analysis, given the fact that the Padron 1926, which is definitely not mild, is his favorite cigar. So how does the 1926 compare to the HdM? More so, how does all this say about Diamond E's palate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Art first the 1926 it is more peppery (but not harsh) than HdM-PO3, but the 1926 tends to mellow and provide a more flavorful but smooth smoke with a buzz.
    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will also hunt one down. We will have a composite CS rating

    El A

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about comparing this puppy to a limp handshake, but the latter is free and much quicker. Perhaps a flat Coke is closer. Either way, comparing this thing to a Padron 1926 is like comparing Captain Morgan to Zacapa.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete