Friday, August 19, 2011

Hail to Santiago Cabana

Last night I was able to totally chill thanks to a Cabana torpedo with natural wrapper. The Cabana is made by Santiago Cabana, a legendary Habana Master. Cabana was largely responsible for the start of the cigar renaissance/craze of the 1990s as he, as a Cuban exile, was able to beat the Cuban cigar makers at their own game. In January 2000 SMOKE Magazine rated 57 different Maduro cigars and Cabana's EL ORIGINAL got the highest rating, better than the Cubans. Santiago is doing well and is a helluva guy also. I do customize my Cabanas by putting my own designed label on them. The one I smoked last night is what I call The Princess. A glass of Zacapa rum was the perfect pairing. Total chill.

CS Rating: 4

El Alcalde

5 comments:

  1. Nice, are those cigars just sold locally? How much and what would you give in terms of the CS rating?

    BTW, pairing just about anything with Z is going to make it perfect, unless it is a LAC - Mi Amor or a Gurkha Viper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know sold in several places in Florida (popular in Keys) and in NYC. They may make a Texas appearance. Z is the best pairing for sure. You had a bad experience with Viper?

    El A

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one more Gurkha Viper to try, but when I smoked the first one, I counldn't wait for it to finish, and was very tempted to toss it half way through...maybe I was not in a chillin mood...I'll let you know after I smoke the second one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonight was my turn to chill with a Santiago Cabana. It was fun to smoke a cigar without knowing the origins of it's components, but the obviously Connecticut wrapper was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It was a mild, sweet, chewy, and flavorful cigar, similar in taste to the Padilla Hybrid and Man 'O War Virtue. Although spongy, the burn and draw were very good. This is a solid 4 label cigar. Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. backwoods for sale Canada

    ReplyDelete