Monday, August 15, 2011

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur - Prensado Oscuro #3

My First Cigar Posting:

Let me introduce myself as it pertains to cigars.
I do not have a sophisticated pallet, I don't really care what the wrapper looks like where the binder came from, how long the ash stays on the stick or for that matter where the tobacco seeds originate.

What I do care about, is being able to enjoy/relax with a good smoke, enjoy the company or the enviroment without working the cigar. One can easliy be drawn to all the nuissances regarding cigars and that can be fun to learn, but at the end of the smoke one has to ask oneself "Would I buy a box of these?"

I tried the subject matter for the first time last night and need to give it a rating of 5 - World Class (especially for its price range of $5-$8). See Cigar Ratings on top right.

It was consitently smooth the entire length, kept its great flavor, it was not peppery, it burned evenly, easy drag, burned at a nice pace and I did not have to re-light it. It just tasted good and did not make me work.

What else can I ask of a cigar?

Thanks for joining us at the Cigar Saloon and hope to hear from you,

Diamond E

11 comments:

  1. Nice review Diamond E. It makes me want to smoke one of those. I especially liked the fact that you wrote that it drags well and no need to relight. But you did mention peppery, which leads me to believe that you were being a bit coy about the "I'm only in it for a smooth smoke". That said, I like to find out about wrapper, binder and filler origins because it has helped me identify where the good cigars come from.

    El Alcalde

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,

    One last great thing about the cigar, it tasted the same to the very end, it did not get harsh, which I find quite impressive.

    It was NOT peppery. Knowing the origins is cool, but only after you find out the cigar is worthy of the research. You can find goood cigars from each of the tobacco growing countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review overall. Very informative. However, I don't think the price should be taken into account when rating a cigar. This would put the HdM on the same level with the Padron Anniversary series, Padilla 1932, and other all-world cigars, which is probably not your intention. As is, a reader would conclude that you put them on the same level and would not be able to tell which cigar you really prefer. Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Price was not a consideration, it is a World Class Cigar. If you like peppery, you will NOT like this one, it is just smoooooth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may want to clarify par. 3 of your review, which appears to state that the price was an important consideration. Are you saying this cigar is on the level of the Padron Anniversary series? If so, this is a real find! - Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I believe it is a real find (at any price). I hope you try it, although you may not like the square shape and extra firmness. It was a great smoke.

    I will have to smoke another one soon for confirmation of the high rating. Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  7. "All World" rating is confirmed. This cigar is the closest thing I have had to drinking an espresso for an hour (without the buzz). Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive! Can't wait to try it! --Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had another one, enjoyed it again. Give it another try. Diamond E

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure. Right after I try every other cigar on the planet.--Mamey

    ReplyDelete
  11. My CS Ranking of this cigar is dropping to a 4.5 due to the masterpiece of the Cuban Cohiba Siglo 6, that is at least 10% better.

    Diamond E

    ReplyDelete